It’s certainly reached summertime heat in Baltimore, and unfortunately our air conditioner broke. Brett and I are pretty frugal, and we only turn on the AC if the temps are over 80, or the house temps are over 77-78. If they reach that, we turn on the AC to a blustery 76 degrees. Mainly because we don’t want Rogue to overheat. We’re trying to save costs and not have a $200 electric bill. That being said, it was 87 degrees yesterday and today. Today was an office day, so I sat at home sweating and working on the computer. Rogue and I would go for a walk to get a reprieve from the house as there was a nice breeze outside. On days like this, cooking does not sound appealing. So, grilling it is.
My last recipe was with shrimp, and we had 1/2 a bag of frozen shrimp left, or 1 pound. We love vegetables, especially grilled vegetables. I had a desire to make a grilled vegetable and orzo salad, however to increase the protein punch of the meal, I used quinoa instead of orzo pasta. Add in some grilled shrimp, and you have a delicious meal, high in protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
There is an easy way to make this salad and a more time-consuming way to make this salad. Both are good, but one involves more prepping and grilling time, while the other is just sauteing. Way #1: chop the veggies,marinate the veggies and shrimp in prepared salad dressing, saute the veggies and shrimp and cook the quinoa. Way #2: chop the veggies, marinate the veggies and shrimp in a homemade dressing, grill the veggies, grill the shrimp and cook the quinoa. I chose way #2 tonight, however when time is of the essence, go with way #1.
Grilled Shrimp, Vegetables and Quinoa Salad, serves 8
- 2 cups dried quinoa
- 4 cups water or reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of vinegar-cider or balsamic
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of parsley, minced-about 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-1 inch slices
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1/2-1 inch slices
- 2 peppers, red, yellow or orange, cut into 1/2-1 inch chunks
- 8oz of whole mushrooms, sliced in half
- 1 red onion, sliced into 4ths
- 1 pound of shrimp
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 4oz of feta cheese
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package using the water or chicken broth. I used chicken broth for this dish. Keep covered and set aside.
- Make salad dressing by whisking ingredients olive oil through salt and pepper. Set aside a few tablespoons-1/4c for drizzling over the salad at the end. If using salad dressing, just leave some for mixing.
- Marinate the veggies and shrimp in separate bowls/bags for 30min-1 hour
- Preheat grill to medium-medium hot-350-400 degrees
- Skewer the vegetables and shrimp and cook separately on the grill. I grill the veggies for 6-10 minutes and the shrimp for 4-6 minutes total, or 2-3 minutes per side until opaque.
- In a large bowl place the cooked quinoa, grilled veggies, grilled shrimp, cherry tomatoes and the reserved dressing. Serve warm or cooled and stir in cheese right before serving.
- Season with additional salt, pepper, parsley, basil, lemon as needed.
- 36g carbohydrate
- 12g fat
- 15g protein
- 5g fiber