Our tri team, the Valor Triathlon Project had a great training weekend in Lake Placid. The weather was a bit chilly and wet, however we had some great training sessions, good team camaraderie and an overall blast. We had 30 athletes and everyone did an awesome job. Unfortunately I was only allowed to swim due to my hamstring injury, but Mirror Lake is on my top 3 lakes for swimming. My top 3 include Keuka lake, Mirror lake and Cultus lake. Brett and I got home yesterday afternoon, and definitely needed some groceries. After a long weekend, I wanted to make something good, healthy but quick. Shrimp fit’s that bill. Brett loves Mexican food, and I love anything that includes avocado’s and beans. So, that turned into shrimp and avocado burritos.
Shrimp and Avocado Burrito’s (Serves 4)
- Olive oil
- 1 and a half pounds of cleaned, deveined shrimp (tails off)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, divided and chopped
- 1 chile chopped, or 1 small tin of chopped chiles
- 1 bunch of scallions, chopped and divided into white and green parts
- 1 15oz can of reduced sodium black beans, drained
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, divided in half
- 1/4 c of non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tomato, chopped
- whole wheat tortillas, or corn tortillas
- spices to taste-salt, pepper, cumin-added to the shrimp mixture or the avocado/yogurt spread
- If shrimp are frozen, defrost according to directions on the bag
- Swirl olive oil around a pan and heat pan to medium. Add the garlic, cilantro, chiles and whites of the scallions. Add the shrimp, and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Squeeze half of the lime over the shrimp mixture.
- To the shrimp mixture, add the beans and corn, and heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- Cut the avocado in half. Take half and slice for a topping. Take the other half and mash with a fork in a bowl. To the bowl add the remaining cilantro, squeeze the other lime, and stir in the 1/4c of yogurt.
- Cut up tomato, and use the tomato, the greens of the scallions and the sliced avocado for topping.
- Spread 1-2 spoonfuls of avocado mixture onto a warm tortilla. Add the bean, shrimp and corn mixture. Top with tomatoes, scallions and avocado.
- 50g carbohydrate
- 10g fat
- 22g protein
- 13g fiber