My post yesterday was all about the benefits of beets for athletes, and the general population as well. After picking up two bunches of beets at the farmer’s market, I had some to spare. So, I roasted some, and boiled some. A friend sent me a red velvet cupcake recipe, that had beets as an addition. We wanted to make them even healthier, so today I created a new and improved cupcake. The name I was thinking of were really long, but it gets the point across:
Recovery Red Velvet Dark Chocolate Chunk Beet Protein Cupcakes…It’s a lot to say, but that pretty much sums it up. No wheat flour (not that I’m opposed to it), the addition of whey protein (or non dairy proteins), the reduction in fat and sugar. The best cupcakes are loaded with fat and sugar, and too many extra calories. So, I made these healthier, although for my usual recipes, this one is still a bit heavy on the calories.
Because of the added protein, these would make a great after workout treat, or after dinner treat if craving chocolate. In addition to the 8g of protein per cupcake, each one provides 75% of your daily Vit. K, 27% of your daily manganese and 20% of your daily Vit. A requirement. Pretty food for one “healthy” cupcake.
The beets I used today were boiled for 20min, then pureed. You could also use roasted beets, I’m sure they would be delicious. I chose to use fresh ground oat flour that my friend Betsy ground for me and I think it was the perfect addition to the cupcake-extra fiber too! Give these a try, I think you’ll like them. Oh, and I’m sure they would be even more decadent with the cream cheese frosting. And if you’re dairy free, coconut cream can be whipped into a frosting, that would be my next choice. Enjoy!
Recovery Red Velvet Dark Chocolate Chunk Beet Protein Cupcakes, (12) Gluten Free, Dairy Free Option
- 2 beets, peeled, chopped and pureed-they measured one cup pre-puree,and about 1/2 c of puree
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of ground oat flour
- 1 cup of chocolate protein powder ( I used whey)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup stevia
- 1/2 of a 3oz 85% dark chocolate bar chopped/vegan dark chocolate-measured about 1/3 cup chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees, and line a muffin tin
- Boil beet for about 20min under they are soft enough to blend.
- In a blender add 3/4 cup almond milk, beets and coconut oil. Puree until smooth
- Add the vanilla, apple cider vinegar, agave and eggs and gently blend.
- In a large bowl mix oat flour, chocolate protein powder, cocoa, baking powder, salt and stevia. Stir to combine.
- Add the beet puree to the oat flour mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Gently stir in chopped dark chocolate
- Bake for 20-25min until the cupcake is done. My oven took 20min. Cool and enjoy.
Each cupcake as written:
- 8g protein
- 9g of fat
- 26g of carb-8g of added sugar from the agave
- 2g of fiber
- 75% of daily Vit.K
- 27% of daily manganese
- 20% of daily Vit.A